What is Montessori Education?
- Montessori Education is both a philosophy of child development and a practical application for guiding children's growth. Its primary beliefs center on:
- Children's absorbent mind - The unique ability of young children's minds to absorb everything in their environment.
- Children's sensitive periods - The stages when children show an intense interest in a particular skill or aspect of their environment.
- A prepared environment - An environment where materials and learning equipment are arranged such that children may independently explore and choose activities maximizing their learning potential.
- Attitudes and role of the Teacher - Teachers prepare the environment by carefully observing the child, serve as a guide for children within the prepared environment, and treat each child with utmost respect as unique individuals