BOND PROPOSAL OVERVIEW
TENTATIVE PROJECT SCHEDULE TIMELINE
In 2017, the Okemos Public Schools began an extensive and collaborative process to assess the current technology, security, capital outlay, transportation and facility needs throughout our district. After a two-year process, the Board of Education voted to address the highest priority needs by calling for an election on a bond proposal for consideration by our voters.
On May 7, 2019, voters in the Okemos community voted to approve the 24.9 million dollar ballot proposal to meet areas of need identified across our district.
Major projects funded in the proposal will:
- replace student “1 to 1” learning devices and classroom technology
- increase and upgrade security measures in our schools
- install new fire alarm systems
- purchase flexible learning furniture in classrooms
- eliminate inequity by providing air conditioning to all students
- gradually replace our aging bus fleet and allow us to add route(s)
- renovate common area bathrooms across the district
- expand capacity at the elementary level, by adding classrooms to Bennett Woods
- replace and upgrade technology for our community Senior Center
- allow the district to meet these needs, while preserving the district’s limited general fund for student programming
We thank the Okemos community for voting to approve the bond proposal and will share updates as to the progress towards bond related projects on our website.